Policy Integrity Matters

For those who know me and still wonder why I really am the way that I am… I will tell you.

When I grew up in Paschall in Southwest Philadelphia, a few blocks from the “projects”, my parents were leaders in the neighborhood church, community group, and home & school association. They were also leaders in the independent Black political movement citywide. It was the 1960’s and 1970’s. My family was part of a larger struggle for racial equality. That’s how I was raised.

Fortunately, I had educational opportunities, procured by my parents, to attend elite public schools from the 5th to 12th grades – Masterman and Central… and then I graduated from the University of Pennsylvania the day before my 21st birthday.

I graduated from Penn, after having been threatened with expulsion in the second semester of my senior year and being brought up on student disciplinary charges in university court for my anti-apartheid activism (I organized a major sit-in in the University President’s office in 1986).

I represented myself in university court.  Although I had pro-bono private representation available if I lost - I did not lose. It was a defining moment in my life.

Many people told me back then that my student activism had already killed any mainstream professional future for me, at age 20. But I went to work on Wall Street and Capitol Hill in my early 20’s, opportunities procured through Black business and political alliances. And I ran for City Council at age 25, winning eight years later at age 33.

My personal, political, and professional lives have been full of many pivotal moments that always remind me of that victory in university court. That’s when I permanently decided that policy integrity matters!

Apartheid was wrong. I stood up in my space against it. And almost 35 years later, I didn’t lose anything that I would trade for what I have.

 I am thankful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Civil Society Solutions