Civil Society Solutions

I launched this blog on my 55th birthday two months ago, the same day I gave notice of my retirement from City government.

I became employed by Philadelphia City Council at age 34, after winning election as its youngest member. I have spent the prime years of my professional life there and I am grateful for that. To have the opportunity to create and impact municipal legislation in a major city for over two decades has been a blessing. I have helped to create more jobs, better wages and benefits, substantial investment in neighborhood economic development, fairer contracting and lending – and even fairer elections through campaign contribution limits, just to name a few things that I have accomplished over those years. I am proud of all of that, but that is also why I am leaving.

City government can do good things when political leaders choose to lead, but great impact can also be made in civil society from further building the capacity of nongovernmental organizations to lead on public policy matters. I will soon be more available to do that, among other things.

Last year, I decided to undertake coursework in public policy design and delivery, including innovation and scaling techniques, through Harvard Kennedy School’s Public Leadership Credential Program. There were case studies offered from around the world related to issues like poverty, education and economic development, as well as concrete analyses and solutions within each case study. That academic process was a reaffirmation for me that policymaking must always begin with the proper technical analysis to define the actual problem, all its root causes, and the multiple solutions that should be considered.

Too often, government tends to promote only one solution, even if it has considered many – with the hope that the one solution will be politically popular. But the overall public-policy making process can only improve if nongovernmental organizations continue to build their own capacity to weigh in on issues, based on their own independent analyses.  That is why I am retiring from City government … to help design civil society solutions.

Comments

  1. Kudos to you, Wilson. I'm certain you will find success in your latest endeavor. If you need my help, just send me a message. Stay in touch. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos again. It's good to be able to step back and look at the forest instead of looking up at trees in the forest. Your experience in the forest has prepared you for new endeavors. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been one of our best public servants, Wilson! Stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wilson, this is a well thought out move. We'll certainly see you in the private space bringing much need thought leadership and social change. Good luck to you my Brother.
    Oliver

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Done. Goode and faithful City Council servant Leader. Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your retirement, good brother. As a native son of our great city, I thank you for your untiring service and dedication to our communities. I look forward to the brilliant contributions you will achieve in the next chapter. Be well and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the world of outside the government policy analysis! We all make a difference from this place and you will as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment